Provide floor plan drawing of the structure showing the location and use of all
rooms where windows or doors are being
2. Indicate the overall dimensions of all windows and doors being replaced.
If a bedroom window is being replaced, at least one opening in that room must
meet the following requirements for
• Clear opening at least 24" high
• Clear opening at least 20" wide
• For ground floor windows, clear opening at least 5 square feet.
• For second and third floor windows, clear opening at least 5.7 square feet.
• Bottom of opening not more than 44" above finished floor level.
• A door from the bedroom to the exterior of the house serves as the required emergency egress opening.
find the opening size, multiply the clear opening height in inches by the width
in inches, and then divide this number by
4. Indicate the location of the required Emergency Egress opening on the floor plan.
All windows within 24" of a door and less than 60" above the finished
floor level must have tempered glass or safety
All windows within 36" of a tub or shower enclosure and less than 60"
above finished floor level must have tempered or
7. Opening protection (shutters or impact resistant glazing) must be provided unless the structure was designed by an
architect or engineer as a partially enclosed structure. Indicate method of opening protection. (Design plans for plywood
shutters are available from the Permit Center. If you desire plywood shutters, indicate this on plans. Instructions will be
8. Provide manufacturer's product approval and installation specifications for each type of window, door and premanufactured
This information is typically available from your retailer. It should specify
the design pressure of
9. Highlight or otherwise indicate pertinent details for size and installation for each type of window, door and shutter used.
10. A final inspection is required to be scheduled after windows and/or doors are installed. Fasteners must be visible for the
inspection. If shutters are required, each shutter must be labeled and placed in front of each window/door for the
11. Read and closely follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. The inspector will only approve installations done
to published specifications.